The Truth About Men's Anti-Aging Products
A few wrinkles can really add character (it works for Pitt and Clooney), but you shouldn’t be racing to deck your face out with crow’s feet, wrinkles, and lines.
The best way to prevent a leathery face is a good defense. This means protecting yourself from the sun and having a solid daily skincare routine that includes washing and moisturizing.
But as you get older, the reality is that you need a little more than a basic skincare routine. That and this is where anti-aging products come into play. But some products promise a lot of fairy tales and white lies when the fact is that nothing outside of surgery will permanently remove wrinkles and lines.
Even so, high quality products with the right ingredients minimize the appearance of fine lines and even prevent new wrinkles from appearing. Read below to educate yourself on the truth about anti-aging products. That way you'll be empowered to make smart choices about how to best care for your skin.
Men and Aging
Men usually start worrying about lines, wrinkles, and crow’s feet at two different periods in their lives:
- Late 20’s – early 30’s: You’re finally starting to make it in the world. But when you look in the mirror, the years of partying and playing ball in the sun all day long are causing your face to show early signs of aging.
- Late 40’s – early 50’s: You’ve achieved personal and professional success. But you look 10 years older than you feel. And now you’ve got younger guys eyeing your spot at work. You need to stay young and energized enough to stick out the tough business world - and in your personal life.
What causes fine lines to start appearing in your late 20's and early 30's? At that stage in your life, your cells begin producing less collagen (the structural protein of the skin), causing your skin to appear thinner and looser. The less collagen your skin has, the less water it can retain. That leads to the structural folds that we call wrinkles and fine lines.
Unfortunately, there is no way to totally stop this. But you can make smart lifestyle choices that prevent early signs of aging. Here are the common mistakes you need to avoid:
- Not getting enough sleep
- Not keeping up a basic skincare routine
- Spending time in the sun without using sunscreen
There's also a skincare perk to being male. Men's skin is naturally thick with a strong underlying structure. That means the aging process comes on slowly and the years of neglect can be treated, even if you start doing it a little later than you should have.
New anti-aging products come out all the time. Frankly, most do not work as they’re advertised. Some are made with potentially dangerous synthetic chemicals by companies more interested in making a buck than what happens to your skin.
Our products were developed by our co-founders Josh and Matt because they wanted natural and organic products that would help prevent wrinkles. That's how Brickell was started and it's remained a core commitment ever since. Here are some of the ingredients we use in our anti-aging products and why:
- Retinol (Vitamin A): Research has proven that retinol reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Unfortunately, it also tends to dry out and irritate the skin - which, ironically, causes wrinkles. There are many different forms of retinol available, from very gentle to with prescription strength. We prefer the natural routine, so we use aloe vera - which contains a healthy dose of retinol - as the base in many of our skincare and anti-aging products.
- DMAE (Dimethylethanolamine): This powerful natural ingredient helps prevent and correct the loss of skin elasticity. DMAE is a precursor to acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that causes the muscles under your skin to contract and tighten. Wrinkles are deepened by the atrophy of facial muscles. So DMAE prevents drooping and sagging by keeping these muscles strong. Many guys see immediate benefits - firmer, smoother skin - after using a product with DMAE like our Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane): A nutrient found in most well-known super foods (including spinach and kale), MSM penetrates deep into your skin to soften its texture and improve elasticity. It also makes your skin cells more absorbent. That means you'll get increased benefits from your other skincare products since their ingredients will hydrate and nourish your skin cells more effectively. Studies have shown that MSM balances skin tone and reduces pigmentation irregularities that cause an aged, uneven appearance. It's a key ingredient in our Restoring Eye Cream.
- Hyaluronic Acid: We're still searching for the Fountain of Youth, but this comes pretty close. Hyaluronic acid is a gel-like, water-holding molecule that retains over 1,000 times its weight in water. When it comes to anti-aging, this is the ultimate moisturizer. Even though your skin naturally contains this molecule, its levels decline as you get older. To boost hydration and fight wrinkles, you can get a powerful dose of hyaluronic acid in our Reviving Day Serum.
Your Anti-Aging Strategy
When you know what causes the signs of aging and which ingredients help fight it, you can create an effective plan to prevent and even reverse the signs of aging. Adopt this easy, strategic anti-aging routine to see noticeable results. It's most effective when used twice daily right after you wash your face.
1. Serum: Help boost collagen production and deliver essential hydration to your skin's deepest layers with our anti-aging serums - our Reviving Day Serum and Repairing Night Serum. Each is made with a concentrated combination of powerful anti-aging ingredients - including hyaluronic acid and vitamin C. Apply a small amount all over your face and allow it to dry before moving on to the next step.
2. Anti-Aging Cream: Our morning and night anti-aging creams nourish your skin and ensure long lasting hydration. They also support your skin's natural barrier to prevent moisture loss and damage. For the best results, use our Resurfacing Anti-Aging Cream in the morning and our Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream in the evening.
3. Eye Cream: The skin around your eyes is especially sensitive. It's thin, so it wrinkles easily and shows dark circles and puffiness very easily. To promote proper circulation and smooth out any fine lines, use our Restoring Eye Cream each morning and evening.
With this knowledge and and results-focused strategy, you can resist the signs of aging. Don't be surprised if you get asked how you turned back the clock. (It's up to you if you want to tell them the truth.)