How to Use Pomade for Men
Think of your hair as a blank canvas and hair pomade as your paint brush. Even a guy with dull, thinning hair can get an awesome look by correctly applying some men’s pomade. But what if you’re not sure about how to use pomade? We’ve got a quick guide to help you pick the right product for your hair and understand how to use pomade for men.
Choosing the Best Pomade For Your Hair
Choosing the best pomade for your hair depends on your desired end result. In general, there are five types of pomade and each provides a different benefit and look.
Wax Pomade for Men - Wax pomade provides a flexible hold with a natural shine finish. This pomade is good for any type of hair and most men’s hair styles.
Cream Pomade for Men - Cream pomade typically provides a very light, flexible hold and a medium shine. This pomade is best for thin hair that only needs a little styling.
Gel Pomade for Men - Gel pomade offers a strong hold with a high shine finish. A strong hold gel pomade works with any hair type and is best suited for men’s hair styles that have to stay in place no matter what.
Paste Pomade for Men - Paste pomade offers a medium to strong hold with a medium shine finish. Paste pomades are great for any type of comb over or slicked back hair style.
Clay Pomade for Men - Clay pomades give a matte finish with a styling, strong hold. If you don’t want anyone to know you have product in your hair, use a natural clay pomade for men.
How to Use Pomade for Men
1. Before using your pomade, wash your hair with a natural shampoo for men. This will remove old product, prevent build up, and make styling easier.
2. Next, determine how much “shine” you want your hair to give off. The wetter your hair is when you apply your pomade, the more shine it will have. If you want to apply your pomade to dry hair, avoid damaging it by gently patting it with a towel and then allowing it to air dry.
3. Apply your pomade with dry hands (or slightly damp if you're going for a wet look) and start with the sides and back of your head. Only use a little pomade on this step as too much pomade can give a gluey, flakey look.
4. Dab a little more pomade on your hands and start styling the top of your hair into the best men’s hairstyle for you. Start at the base of your scalp and work your way up to the top of your hair stands. Too much pomade on the tips of your hair causes a weighed down look you want to avoid.
5. If your hair style loses its structure as the day goes on, just dampen your fingers with a little water and rework your hair back to its original look. If water doesn’t work, use a small amount of pomade to reset the style.
6. You should rinse out pomade at the end of the day, but you don't want to strip your hair of essential oils. Leaving a little bit of product in your hair is better than removing the necessary, healthy oils your hair needs to grow and look its best. Using a natural & organic shampoo for men will cleanse your hair without stripping these oils.